Varadaraja Perumal Temple
Varadaraja Perumal Temple or Hastagiri or Attiyuran is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is one of the Divya Desams, the 108 temples of Vishnu believed to have been visited by the 12 poet saints, or Alwars. It is located in a suburb of Kanchipuram known as the Vishnu Kanchi that is a home for many famous Vishnu temples.One of the greatest Hindu scholars of Vaishnava VisishtAdvaita philosophy, Ramanuja is believed to have resided in this temple.
Kanchipuram – Click here to navigate to google maps
Timings: 6:00AM-11:00AM , 4:00PM-8:00PM
- Bringing Thirumanjanam– 6:00AM
- First Thiruvaradhanam- 6:30AM – 7:30AM, 7:30AM – 9:00AM
- Second Nivedanam– 10:00AM – 11:00AM
- Thirukkapu Sathudal(Closing of Temple)– 12:30PM – 3:30PM
- Third Thirumalai Sathupadi– 6:00PM – 6:30PM
- Fourth Thiruvaradanam- 7:00PM – 8:00PM
- Manna Senai Theermanam- 8:00PM – 8:30PM
- Brahmotsavam- In the Month of Vaigasi(May – June)
- Garuda Seva- In the Month of Vaigasi(May – June)
- Theri- In the Month of Vaigasi(May – June)
- Vaikunda Ekadasi- In the Month of December – January
Major Event: once in 40 years
The 40 feet long idol of Lord Athi Varadaraja Perumal in reclining posture is made of Athi wood. This is brought out once in 40 years for the darshan of devotees. Chakkarathazwar shrine – the deity of the discus of Lord Perumal – with 16 hands holding conch and discus is on the eastern side of the temple tank. He is also praised as Sudharsana Azhwar.
Devotee Expected: 100000+
- Architecture -Tamil architecture
- Area – 23 acre
- Golden and silver Lizards
The Varadaraja Perumal Temple temple along with Ekambareswarar Temple and Kamakshi Amman Temple in Kanchipuram is popularly known as Mumurtivasam (abode of trio), while Srirangam is referred to as ‘ The Koil’ (meaning: “temple”) and Tirupathi as the ‘Malai’ (Meaning: “hill”). Among the Divya Desams, Kanchipuram Varadaraja Perumal temple is known as the ‘Perumal Koil’. This is one of the most sacred places for Vaishnavites. There is another famous temple of Varadarajaswamy in Kurmai, of Palamaner mandal in Chittoor District, called the Kurma Varadaraja Swamy Temple.